Monday, June 2, 2008

Adieu, Auf Weidersehen, Goooooodbyyyyeee!

I am so sad that this class is over with! I really, really enjoyed coming to this class. It was definitely the highlight of my Mondays. I looked forward to hearing our guest speakers. They have been some of the most fascinating women I have ever listened to. It is really inspiring to hear from women involved in the real "Law and Order." I enjoyed listening to their opinions and how the criminal justice system works from the police, to the morgue, to the court room. The whole process is truly fascinating. I wish I had this class all the time!
This "monstrous maternal" episode was interesting and disconcerting at the same time. For example, McCoy was advocating a forced sterilization of the mom. While this is sort of a good idea for the safety of any children she may have without the surgery, if they allowed it, it would set a precedent of sterilization when a mother is unfit. This sort of makes me think about the commercials for permanent birth control. It shows an inner monologue with a woman and a voice is narrating saying "Not ready to have another child?" Essentially, they are putting all responsibility for contraception on the woman. They want women to have a permanent birth control that is irreversible, while the husband could go get a vasectomy (which can be reversible). It is never the man who has to worry about birth control or having another baby. It's always the woman. ACK.
In closing, I have to say, thank you for making this class so fun and stimulating and interesting and just plain fabulous! I wish you all the best of luck on finals!!!! I will definitely miss our weekly Law and Order episodes together! :)

No comments: