Friday, April 18, 2008

April 14th Episode/Class

I really liked this episode because it brought up the point that people still are not being judged on their abilities but rather on their race or gender (or in VanBuren's case, both). The episode showed how people from minority backgrounds end up having to "tread carefully" because any misstep can result in other people totally judging their abilities and reverting to the old "oh you only got this job because you're black/woman/asian/hispanic/older than others/have a disability.....

i enjoyed the speaker too, it was cool that when she was out campaigning she told people not to vote for her cause she's a woman but rather to vote for her cause she's the most qualified...

I was thinking that maybe Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech needs to be updated to "I have a dream.... that [people] will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin or the contents of their pants, but by the content of their character"

hope that's not offensive.... it's not meant to be (my sister just said to me that it might be so hopefully no one takes it that way)... but seriously people just need to be judged on their abilities... its like VanBurnen said when she was on the stand "the last thing I was thinking about was the color of his skin"

No comments: