Tuesday, April 1, 2008

First Day of Class

The first episode was definitely a "first" episode. They tried a lot of different things to draw in the audience, the innuendos most notably-perhaps to garner a laugh in spite of the serious subject manner- but also the importance of family for Stabler, the emotional side through Olivia and so on. This episode was definitely not as violent as some of the newer ones, although this had plenty of violence. Often I can not watch this show because it gets to be too gruesome. However, it still has plenty of drama and intrigue and I find myself sitting down to watch it whenever I get the chance! I had never seen this episode so it was really interesting to find out the back-stories of some of the characters. This was something I had missed out on by not closely following the show.

I was a little peeved that they made a lot of suggestions about gays and transgendered people in a comical way. I was surprised they did this because I cannot remember ever really hearing or noticing those comments in recent episodes. I also noticed that they really had stereotyped the characters. This was probably done to give a broad overview of each individual and it seemed like each one was very concentrated. Olivia is emotional and empathetic, Stabler is the all around macho family man, etc. I'm glad they have added some more depth to these characters through the seasons!

1 comment:

Allison said...

yeah svu can get gruesome but its not really worse than reading the news...but good points... i agree the characters were very stereotyped