Saturday, May 3, 2008

April 28th class and other things

I thought class on monday was really interesting, the woman from cardv was amazing to listen to.... i definitely could not do what she does and not just be a sad wreck.

Also, I enjoyed the "classic" law and order episode we watched.... oh the 90's law and order.... *sigh*

the handout on the risk factors for abuse and risk factors for perpetration were very interesting, though I was not surprised to see many of the factors on there, such as alcohol and drug use and poverty. I really think that poverty, as a social issue, is one thing that could be defined as a major "root issue" of so many other social problems and actual crimes against people and property. Poverty, I think, creates desperation for the person/people in that situation and men affected by this do (as statistics show) turn to alcohol and abusing those around them (women and children). It's so horrible and yet as a society we, I think, spend so much on trying to fix the outcomes (the abuse and alcoholism) but at the same time don't put enough resources into solving the root problem, poverty.

Hearing the speaker talk about how when she presents to groups the story of the woman in the room at the party (sleeping) and how the first two guys walk in there and just don't disturb her, or put a jacket on her, and how the third guy rapes her. Then she asks the audience why the woman was raped? and people dont EVER (without some prodding) say "because that guy CHOSE to rape her!" that actually made my jaw drop i was shocked and just I was in disbelief.

I retold that to my best friend (since age 6 and she's definitely a feminist and was part of FMLA on campus)and I asked her "what do you think people's responses were" and she was like.... because that third guy raped her, that's why she got raped... and when I told her the typical responses (oh the girl was at the party, she was in that room alone, etc) she was SHOCKED too, we were both like OH MY GOD how can people be so ...dumb!

so yeah, in short, i loved monday's class and I wish it could have gone on longer!!! so many issues to talk about!!! cardv is an amazing institution and the speaker was AWESOME!!!!

No comments: