Monday, May 5, 2008

Honor

Due to being out of town last weekend, I was out of class, and since I am not aware of what was already discussed in the last class, I thought I would discuss what was assigned as homework. The episode “Honor” is one I have seen before and it has always been an extremely disturbing one. Obviously, having grown up in the United States, the fact that a woman could seem so disgraceful to her family for wearing jeans and a T-shirt, and for having sex with her fiancĂ©e is extremely hard to comprehend. The fact that an arranged marriage can still be a reality, even here, was also something that I don’t think about in my day-to-day life, and it’s strange that this is a reality to some people. It was also frustrating seeing the brother and father wearing Western clothing and the Mother and daughter being told it was not allowed, and if they were to disobey the amount of anger directed toward them was astonishing. When her mother feels that what happened to her daughter wasn’t justified and feels she must be honest, she pays the ultimate price. It was really a heartbreaking episode, and although this revolves around a specific culture, I don’t believe that a father’s anger toward his daughter for this type of thing is exclusive to one culture. It doesn’t often end as badly as this episode is, but girls are treated much differently when it comes to how we dress and if we choose to have sex before marriage or not. From boys, these beliefs are much more lax, and it is a horrifying double standard that is depicted in this episode.

No comments: