Monday, May 12, 2008

Of abortion and blow up dolls....

Wow, what a great class today (as per usual)!! I really enjoyed listening to the ADA and how she defends cases. It was interesting to hear the other side of the argument: how the defense works. I have no idea how I would be able to defend someone who is guilty, I don't think I could handle it! It was interesting to hear about the cases that she dealt with and also the work of the PI. I would never have pinpointed her as a private investigator. She was very fashionable, nice and professional and when I think of a PI I think of a mustachioed, forty-something man in a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses! I also liked hearing their anecdotes. It's nice to see people in their profession laugh and be happy. I can only imagine the depressing stuff they have to deal with on a daily basis! Especially their story about the dead body that was nearly liquefied. I'm pretty sure I would have passed out instantaneously!
The episode we watched in class was really interesting. First, it was a bunch of men (some of which are married) talking about women's reproductive rights and abortion. There were no women investigators (minus the female cop in the beginning of the episode) and no female lawyers either. Also, the detectives got really heated about abortion which was interesting. Chris Noth's character was very supportive of a woman's right to choice but the other detective was very adamantly opposed and was siding with the bombers. One thing that this episode reminded me of was this reading in Sisterhood is Forever (one of my textbooks for WS 224). The reading was about Ageism. At the very end, the author notes: "Now we are seeing a kind of "child worship," with politicians telling us what happens in our lives now isn't important: what's important is that "the children are the future." When this kind of obsession with discarding the old for the new is pushed along the continuum to the ultimate, we have "fetus worship." And when the fetus is more important than the woman who carries it, feminism is in deep trouble." I thought this applied to episode because we see this "fetus worship" with the pro-life side of the argument. The fetus is a human from the beginning of conception and abortion is murder to them. The issue then becomes more about this unborn "being" and it's rights as a human rather than the reproductive rights the woman herself has. It's a really interesting topic. I hope we can talk about it more in class!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

It is interesting because many pro-lifers are not often in support of welfare and social programs to help families with their quality of life. If they insist that the babies should be born, shouln' they insist they have access to resources? This of course mostly applies to lower-class women with abortions, but this is quite a classist issue. I would like to talk more about forced sterilization; it is hard to believe that horror even happens! Who does that sort of thing!